My favorite! Couple of years ago I did not really know what kind of fruit avocado was, as you couldn’t really get it in Hungary. What have I missed! I’ve started to eat it when I’ve moved to Dubai. It has a nice, creamy taste and can be eaten salty or sweet. I usually make protein shakes with it, but also use it in salads, dips and even just eating it on a slice of spelt toast sprinkled with salt and pepper. Yummyyy!
Avocado is not just delicious, but also one of the most beneficial fruits for health. Here is why…
The avocado is full of nutrients, it contains:
- Vitamin A, B-complex, C, E, H, K and folic acid as well.
- It also has the acid neutralizing minerals such as magnesium, copper, iron, kalcium, and three times as much potassium as a banana
- 18 amino acids, 7 fatty acids including Omega 3 and 6
- 10-15% protein, which is more than in the cow’s milk
- They are also a rich source of fiber and have a low sugar and starch content, making them an ideal food for diabetic patients.
- Avocado has high amount of glutation, which neutralizes acids that harm the cells during aging and responsible for the formation of heart deases and cancer
- Very hydrating as it has 70-80% water content – great for the skin
Avocado helps in many health conditions such as:
- Muscle and nerve health: The amount of potassium in this fruit helps to balance electrolytes and assist muscle activity, as well as nerve function and energy metabolism.
- Kidney stones: The potassium content helps to lower urinary calcium excretion, cutting the risk of kidney stones developing.
- Blood pressure: The high amounts of folic acid and potassium help regulate blood pressure and help fight off stroke, heart problems, and circulatory diseases.
- Cholesterol: The content of oleic and linoleic acids are shown to lower LDL cholesterol and increase healthy cholesterol.
- Stomach ulcers: The mildness of this fruit is soothing to the sensitive surfaces of the stomach and duodenum, and is an effective treatment for ulcers.
- Immune system: Eating avocados regularly strengthens and boosts the immune system.
- Eyesight: The anti-oxidants in avocados help neutralize free radicals that improve eyesight and ward off astigmatism, glaucoma, and cataracts.
- Bad breath: The avocado is effective in removing intestinal decomposition and putrefactions that cause unpleasant breath.
- Fetal development: Folic acid in the avocado is beneficial and important for healthy fetal tissue development.
- Morning sickness: Vitamin B6 in avocados can sooth nausea and upset stomach during pregnancy.
- Prostate cancer: Certain phytonutrient substances in avocados have been shown to prevent the growth of prostate cancer cells.
- Psoriasis: The oil in avocados is useful in the treatment of psoriasis and dry skin.
Make sure you introduce avocado in your daily diet and you’ll be healthy! 🙂 Recipes coming soon, you can also share if you have your favorites with avocado.