I need to share this delicious lentil dhal recipe with you. It’s the best lentil dish I’ve eaten so far. I’ve found it in The Yoga Cookbook by the Sivananda Vedanta Centres and have done it several times already over the past few weeks.
Here it goes:
- 200g (70z) red lentils (or green, but make sure you soak the green for easier cooking)
- 750ml (1¼ pints) water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (I use wholegrain mustard)
- 1 tsp cumin or fennel seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½- 1 tbsp lemon juice (add at the end, optional)
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander
- Place the lentils in a pan with water, turmeric and bay leaf. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender. It takes a bit more for me.
- Heat the coconut oil, add the mustard and cumin or fennel seeds and cook over high heat until they 'pop'.
- Add the ground coriander and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, then add the mixture to the cooked lentils. Add more water if the mixture is too thick, or cook a little longer to make it thicker. Add some salt and lemon juice if you like. I definitely recommend lemon juice. Stir in the chopped coriander and serve.
It’s soooooo tasty! Try it, and let me know!